Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Okay, one more thought for the evening.

The transformative power of learning to forgive oneself.  It is astounding (thanks, Paul, for making me think of it).

I spent 5 years a Jesuit, and we did retreats at least annually.  The first part of any retreat (at least in those days) were called "disposition days" and were aimed at getting you in a psychological space that could tolerate some hard and scary truths.

Part of the disposition days involved looking back at things you had done and coming to understand that in the main, we do the best with what we've got.  We shouldn't judge ourselves so harshly (or others!).

That matters a lot.  Maybe it's brain damage that's making me peaceful with the thought of my own demise.  Or maybe part of it is that I have done the best with what I have and leave few regrets.  (Yes, I have regrets...)

No comments:

Post a Comment