Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

So, this is weird, speaking to the void.

I have little by way of illusions that many will ever read these writings, but somehow feel compelled to get some thoughts down about what's going on.  It's sort of serious shit.

I'm one month post-op to have a resection of a large, right frontal lobe astrocytoma; the prognosis is not good for these guys, although life expectancy seems to climb every year.  Treatments are getting more  effective, if no less barbaric.  The median survival stats are recently about 18 months, but there are folks running around who have been living with these things for decades.

I hope I get some decades.  I'm not done yet.  I just turned 57 (found out about the cancer almost on my birthday -- yay!).  So it'd be nice to get another 20 years to wrap some things up.

I'm a college teacher, an experimental psychologist by training.  I teach things like cognition, learning, sensory processes, perception, psychopharmacology, research design and analysis, all the science-y parts of psychology that none (or very few) of my students are interested in.  But I love the science...  I am, in short, a nerd.

I like knowing what we can know about how brains generate behavior, and about how we can do careful research to identify how it is that brains can do that.

I'm getting some sort of caution from Blogger that I need to save this, so...

2 comments:

  1. thanks for writing and sharing Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once there was a void. Now, maybe not so much. We're with you...
    -Ginny the geek

    ReplyDelete